Monday, February 12, 2007

Don't think pink

I suggested a moratorium on the color pink.

So maybe it is a sexy, attention-grabbing color. It is the color of my favorite drink, and I recently enjoyed a theme party based on the color. But it seems to be the only color we use when we do a story about females.

I’m referring, of course, to The Verve centerpiece on Thursday.
When I opened the paper, I gasped. The label head, in bright pink curvy letters, read “Ladies stay connected.” I closed the paper in shock. I knew it was supposed to be an article about women’s groups and feminist activism on campus. And yet, what surrounded a photo of the most recent Take Back the Night March? Doilies. We might as well have put kitchen utensils or a large picture of Phyllis Schlafly. (The story is Local women’s groups band together, but the package is only visible on the pdf, which you can click on from this page.)

Of course, if the story was about a new surge in homemaking, doilies might be appropriate. But the story, written by Anna Sudar, was a feature about women’s groups, and we belittled them with stereotypes.

For last week's Friday Focus, we did a centerpiece about female rock stars (When ladies rock the house), and used a large pink guitar pick that one person told me was reminiscent of the female version phallic. It turns out, Amy Lauer, design editor, who did this design, actually only picked the pink guitar pick because it was at the right angle. Its pinkness was a coincidence.

This story (also by Sudar), although I understood some points about its stereotypical-seeming design, was still able to express a cool point. Even the word ladies (which is actually not Associated Press style at all), was something we managed to pull off. I heard good reviews from people about the story. But the repeat of the word "ladies" again last Thursday was not a good move, and definitely looked a little ignorant on our part. As both a women’s studies and journalism student, I tend to get worked up about how newspapers portray gender. This time, I found that it was a buzz with a lot of people and that most of the newsroom was turned off by the display. As one person told me, it reminded him of a Victoria’s Secret commercial (think of all of the sweatpants with “pink” written on the rear).


I can’t blame any one person for our overtones of sexism or gender stereotyping. It is just as much the fault of the editors before and after The Verve was designed as it is the designer's fault. My intention is not to scold anyone. We as editors obviously should take the most blame for not overseeing how design and writing is conceptualized together. I also know that this was a stand-in Verve that lacked planning.

Unfortunately, even large misconceptions slip through the cracks. The bottom line is, we’re students. While we’re trying to fix a comma, we might miss that fact that a package is not appropriate. Perhaps when I first started at The Post, I didn’t even have the cultural knowledge to notice a gender stereotype if it hit me in the face with an apron.

The good news: Thursday’s blunder has spawned a new iniative for diversity (we’re adopting the popular Ohio University buzz word!) at The Post. One thing that is included is trying to rid the newsroom of gender stereotypes — both in-house and on our paper. We can call it Vision Post or something.

2 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Vision Post, hahahhaah I love it!


Ellie, I think the staff is lucky to have someone with your perspective. I don't think I would have noticed the obvious belittlement that you pointed out because society is very much used to referring to women like that and stereotyping them. I think the only defense is that it is eye-catching and will at least get people to read it. It might even serve the purpose of showing that even though they are "just women," they are just as able to do what men are.

Good luck with your Vision Post! Through education and communcative initiatives, I'm sure you will rise above the issues through your strategic planning and reach the highest star!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ellie Behling said...

Oh how The Post misses the intelligent and snarky Cheryl Sadler!

Anyway, I agree that it might have been eye-cathcing, but it easily could have been eye-catching without the offensive headline and decor. I don't know that the design said anything about letting women be equals with men at all. It wasn't necessarily completely degrading, either, but as a journalist, I was 55 percent upset the design and story didn't go together, and 45 percent upset that our message was naively offensive -- if that makes sense. So I'm not just offended for women, but annoyed with our error. Anyway, thanks for your thougths and I'm sooooo happy you are reading the blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home